Login: 
Password:
Home All Questions Ask Question All Forums Recent Polls Users Register new user
Crops / फसल > wind breaking plantation  

Quick Go »
Show Printable Version | e-mail this thread | Add To My Favorites | Watch this Thread
Author
Previous Thread 3 Replies 481 Views Next Thread

saride_rao

20+ Contributor
KAKINADA
Andhra Pradesh
India

wind breaking plantation

for my papaya plantation,what is the best border line wind breaking plantation to protect the fragile papaya plants for heavy and some times cyclonic winds-Dr SUM Rao
[Apr 1, 2011 10:17:21 PM] Print Post    Email is hidden to Guest Report threaten post: please login first  Go to top 

baramati

Certifed Expert
Baramati, Pune Dist
Maharashtra
India

Member's Photo

Expert Name: Mr.S.V.Potekar
Phone Number: 02112-255207

Re: wind breaking plantation

Windbreaks are necessary in areas where strong winds prevail. The distance between the strips of windbreaks varies with location. Where winds blow horizontally across the plantation, a common rule of thumb is to space windbreaks at a distance of 20-30 times the height of windbreak trees. Where winds come in different directions and angles, it is necessary to have windbreaks half as close.

In general, a good windbreak should be permeable, allowing some air to pass through.

Grow wind breaks such as silver oak, dadaps, casuarina, daincha and sububul.

[Above information is based on recommendations from National Agriculture Research System. The Effectiveness of the recommendations varies from place to place with changes in natural resource and climate. Farmers are advised to use the information on their own responsibility. KVK Baramati shall not be responsible for any consequences.]
----------------------------------------
[Edit 1 times, last edit by baramati at Apr 2, 2011 11:48:16 AM]
[Apr 2, 2011 11:40:25 AM] Print Post    Weather Info Report threaten post: please login first  Go to top 

saride_rao

20+ Contributor
KAKINADA
Andhra Pradesh
India

Dear Sir,

There is lot of cricism against rasing subabul for using them as wind breaks.The following are the adverse remarks;I heard

01.They need lots of water and deplete the Table water in the area affecting the  water resource to other palnts

02.They would suufer diseases like gummosis and  may affect other pants and may be difficult to control.

Pl guide me how far these criticism aganst subabul is true?

Dr SUM Rao

[Apr 3, 2011 8:54:24 PM] Print Post    Email is hidden to Guest Report threaten post: please login first  Go to top 

dharwad

Certified Expert
Raichur
Karnataka
India

Member's Photo

Expert Name: Dr. V. I. Benagi
Phone Number: 08362774464

Sir,
Subabul is a good hedhe crop, you may have to prune after attaining desirable height,so that it should not bear any flower.If not it leads to problem.
Under this situations it is better to have Dhaincha,Casurina ,or silverock as suggested by the previous expert.
[Apr 4, 2011 10:23:24 AM] Print Post Report threaten post: please login first  Go to top 

Hindi Keyboard   Telugu Keyboard   Kannada Keyboard