Login: 
Password:
Home All Questions Ask Question All Forums Recent Polls Users Register new user
Animals / पशु > HF / Jersey / Murrah / Jaffarabadi  

Quick Go »
Show Printable Version | e-mail this thread | Add To My Favorites | Watch this Thread
Author
Previous Thread 8 Replies 4712 Views Next Thread

bhasker_harihara

10+ Contributor
Chennai
Tamil Nadu
India

HF / Jersey / Murrah / Jaffarabadi

I am new to farming.  Moved from IT.  I would like to know the no. of cows / buffaloes that can be reared in one acre of land.  Is it possible to purchase all the required fodder from the market and still be profitable.  Will HF/Jersey/Murrah/Jaffarabadi breeds adapat well for chennai climate.    Also I would like to have a 50:50 mix of cows and buffaloes.  Thank you in advance for the reply.
[Feb 8, 2010 1:28:06 PM] Print Post Report threaten post: please login first  Go to top 

baramati

Certifed Expert
Baramati, Pune Dist
Maharashtra
India

Member's Photo

Expert Name: Dr. D.P.Bhoite
Phone Number: 02112-255207

Re: HF / Jersey / Murrah / Jaffarabadi

Prior to starting dairy farming you could avail training on dairy farming to get knowledge on this aspect.Also if possible ,do survey of buffalo & cattle farms around the Chennai who purchase the total fodder & run the dairy farms.Also study the marketting system for milk & milk products & margin get in this business.You need to do this survey on your own.Also go through following points about dairy farming-
Whichever is the business, want to become profitable needs following things (Dairy point of view):-
1)Quality animals:- Animals which can sustain in perticular climatic conditions & having proper dairy character needed for dairy business.Eg- In Konkan region, there is high rainfall in rainy season and drought situation on summer season.so the kind of animals which are suitable for this region may be Jersey cows,Surti & Mehsana buffaloes.
2)Management- As the production of animal is increases according to high quality animals demand for good quality fodder,concentrate,water,housing and care is needed more .If this is not fulfilled ,then dairy owner can have a loss in terms of less milk production as well as economic losses.So it is necessary for dairy owner to access his strength for providing this kind of facilities for its animals.So for that if dairy owner has good kind of knowledge (By training & practice)and will to do whatever work in his dairy farm,then he can be profitable dairy farmer.As per my knowledge this is 24 hours business & it can not be as supervisor's job.
3)Facilities:- Whatever facilities required for dairy like availability of farm land,availability of fodder throughout the year,availability of veterinarian,skill for first aid treatment,skill for feed formulation is important for dairy farmer.Dairy owner must provide minimum kind of facilities which are needed for his animals.
4)Market- Before producing milk or other dairy product,it is better to search what are market opprtunities in your area.See if there is no any dairy farm functioning in your srea what are the resions behind it?If there is no any farmer who dare to take this entreprice then it is opportunity to you set up good quality of dairy farm.If market is not there ,try to create your own market by creating demand for your product in the market.
5)Value addition- In business of dairy farming,it is better to not to rely on only one entreprise or product eg- Milk,If you do value addition in milk to prepare Khoa,Shrikhand,basundi etc.,You will get more money,If you do value addition in cowdung by preparing vermicompost you will get more money .
So think on this aspect, Do personal visits for survey the area,try to find out market as well as study market chains developed in that perticular area.Then make decision for dairy farming .
6)To be updated- For dairy owner it is necessary to aware about new practices & changes in dairy farming.So for that he must take training before starting the dairy or any animals related enterprise & after that timely necessary trainings to become updated .New practices,trends & changes in management will be helpfult to reduce the losses & improve production of animals.He must be adaptive & positive in nature & willing to take responcibilities or change as & when needed.
7) Keep records- Some farmers which do not have land but are successfully run dairy business because they keep records for feed,fodder,Milk production,Reproduction,health & management aspects.In which they can get ideas as well as point our problematic points or situatuation to avaiod losses.Today,many dairy farmers are not keeping records as like businessman,so they do know what is the status of the dairy they are running now.
On the above points,you may decide number of animals to be kept for dairy farming which can run sucessfully.Alos visit to nearest dairy farmsrs which are running their farms very well & then share the ideas with them for runing successful dairy farm.
In Cattle Jersey ,HF breeds & in buffalos Mehsana ,surti are good breeds to be reared in chennai.
For training on dairy farming,you maycontact to local Krishi Vigyan Kendra in your district or state.
Programme Coordinator
Krishi Vigyan Kendra Veterinary College & Research Institute Distt. - Namakkal – 637017
Contact-04286- 266345/04286- 266345/266484
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
See following link-http://www.kvkbaramati.com/Dairy_training_news.pdf
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Above information is based on recommendations from National Agriculture Research System. The Effectiveness of the recommendations varies from place to place with changes in natural resource and climate. Farmers are advised to use the information on their own responsibility. KVK Baramati shall not be responsible for any consequences.]
----------------------------------------

Feed & fodder management in dairy animals.pdf (1434628 bytes) (Download Count: 400)

Silage making for indian dairy farmers (Note prepared by Dr.D.P.Bhoite).pdf (842177 bytes) (Download Count: 295)

Loose housing cattle -buffalo shed design.pdf (804588 bytes) (Download Count: 269)

[Edit 2 times, last edit by baramati at Feb 15, 2010 5:08:13 PM]
[Feb 15, 2010 5:03:39 PM] Print Post    Weather Info Report threaten post: please login first  Go to top 

baramati

Certifed Expert
Baramati, Pune Dist
Maharashtra
India

Member's Photo

---------------'''''''''''''''''''''''------------------------
[Feb 15, 2010 5:05:17 PM] Print Post    Weather Info Report threaten post: please login first  Go to top 

bhasker_harihara

10+ Contributor
Chennai
Tamil Nadu
India

Dear Dr. Bhoite,

Thank you very much for your reply. Should i go for the cross breeds or the 90% variety ? Is there any government organisation from where I can buy the cows. ( I want to have value for money and not get cheated ). Will Krishi Vigyan kendra help in the procurement.

Thank you and Warm Regards,
Bhasker.
[Feb 17, 2010 10:21:12 AM] Print Post Report threaten post: please login first  Go to top 

baramati

Certifed Expert
Baramati, Pune Dist
Maharashtra
India

Member's Photo

On 16 & 17 feb,2010,the 55 participants from Krishi Vigyan Kendra Namakkal visited to Krishi Vigyan Kendra ,Baramati under ATMA scheme.Many of farmers having Holstein Frisean cows in their dairy farm in Namakkal.I don't have any information about govt institute for supplying dairy animals in Tamilnadu but form farmers you can purchase these crossbred animals and may go for crossbreeding further by using semen of Progeny tested bull through available semen in market or you may use semen from PT bull of BAIF,Pune.I feel you may approach to Programme coordinator of KVK,Namakkal for furher guidance.
he address is
Dr.P.Mohan,
Programme Coordinator
Krishi Vigyan Kendra
Veterinary College & Research Institute
Distt. - Namakkal – 637017
Contact-04286- 266345 Fax- 04286- 266345 266484
or
Mr.D.Thirunavukkarasu
SMS(Extension)
KVK,Namakkal,Tamilnadu
Contact- 04286-266345

-------------------------------------------------------

http://www.kvkbaramati.com/Dairy_training_news.pdf

--------------------------------------------------------

[Above information is based on recommendations from National Agriculture Research System. The Effectiveness of the recommendations varies from place to place with changes in natural resource and climate. Farmers are advised to use the information on their own responsibility. KVK Baramati shall not be responsible for any consequences.]

[Edit 2 times, last edit by baramati at Feb 18, 2010 4:29:03 PM]
[Feb 18, 2010 4:26:22 PM] Print Post    Weather Info Report threaten post: please login first  Go to top 

bhasker_harihara

10+ Contributor
Chennai
Tamil Nadu
India

Dear Sir,

I would like to know the different kinds of sheds that I can build. I was initially thinking of cement floor, Stone walls (5 feet) palm leaves shed of length 210 by 30 feet for 60 animals. But to begin with I want to experiment with only 10 HF. Please suggest.

Also give me some contacts from where I can buy hf cows.

Thank you very much once again.

Warm Regards,
Bhasker.
[Feb 23, 2010 11:36:51 AM] Print Post Report threaten post: please login first  Go to top 

baramati

Certifed Expert
Baramati, Pune Dist
Maharashtra
India

Member's Photo

Please see following link for details on cattle housing in detail-
http://agritech.tnau.ac.in/animal_husbandry/animhus_cattle_housing.html
Also go through the attchment given below where the details on loose housing are given in attachment.Discuss with local Krishi Vigyan Kendra for availability of HF cows in TN.The address is-
Dr.P.Mohan,
Programme Coordinator
Krishi Vigyan Kendra
Veterinary College & Research Institute
Distt. - Namakkal – 637017
Contact-04286- 266345 Fax- 04286- 266345 266484
or
Mr.D.Thirunavukkarasu
SMS(Extension)
KVK,Namakkal,Tamilnadu
Contact- 04286-266345

Loose housing cattle -buffalo shed design.pdf (804588 bytes) (Download Count: 147)

[Edit 1 times, last edit by baramati at Feb 26, 2010 3:45:19 PM]
[Feb 26, 2010 3:43:47 PM] Print Post    Weather Info Report threaten post: please login first  Go to top 

girivarma

Contributor
Shameerpet
Andhra Pradesh
India

Hi Friend,

The Information provided in the website is very useful for setting up a new Dairy Farm. Can u help me in providing some more information like.

-- I am looking to setup a dairy farm in Hyderabad, so can u suggest the buffaloes for Hyderabad climate.

-- Milk Production per day for Murrah/Jaffarabadi breeds?

-- Right place to purchase(I mean area's Eg:Hinayana/ Gujarat ) buffaloes and their price in the market.

Regards,
Varma

[Dec 13, 2010 12:19:56 PM] Print Post Report threaten post: please login first  Go to top 

baramati

Certifed Expert
Baramati, Pune Dist
Maharashtra
India

Member's Photo

Buffalo breeds like Murrah ,Mehsana are suitable for AP climate only the fact is you may have to provide good housing,Feeding ,Watrerring facilities along with scientific management situations.
Murrah buffalo produces 1800-2000 litres of milk in one lactation (Per day highest milk yield is 18-20 litres).
Mahsana also produces 1800 litres of milk .
It is betetr to purchase good quality of animals from their origin place like Murrah from Haryana (Rohtak,Jind,Karnaal etc) & Surat & Mehsana districts for Mehsana buffaloes.
----------------------------
[Dec 24, 2010 9:35:42 AM] Print Post    Weather Info Report threaten post: please login first  Go to top 

Hindi Keyboard   Telugu Keyboard   Kannada Keyboard