Baramati, Pune Dist
Joined: Dec 1, 2003
Expert Name: Mr.S.V.Potekar
Phone Number: 02112-255207
Re: Tomato Cultivation in greenhouse
It has been found that the yield obtained of tomato crop under greenhouse condition is 3 to 4 times more than that obtains under the normal conditions.
• The tunnel shaped greenhouse protects the crop from irregular rain and thus plants can be grown successfully.
• During the winter season the inner temperature of the structure gets increased and favours the plant growth. As tomato is a warm season crop it can’t bear low temperature.
• For cultivation of tomato in green house use of 25% shade should be made. As tomato requires good sunlight and the type of poly sheets should be IPCL 200-micron UV clear film. And the best manual method to control the temperature inside the green house is use of mulching method. The greenhouse when is opened to enter fresh air the percentage of oxygen inside the greenhouse will increase reducing the carbon-di-oxide percentage.
• In tomato cultivation use of plastic film of medium height and with more length can be constructed in a tunnel form. In this case the height of the structure is such that the person can go inside. Also use of nylon net can be done. This tunnel form of greenhouse helps to protect the crop from heavy showers of rain. Per acre 10,000 to 22,000 plants are required. These plants are grown on beds of 1mt width and 20mt in length.
• For the sterilization of soil use of 2% formaldehyde can be done. After sterilization is done then the area should be covered with plastic shade and it should be firmly pressed so that its effect will be long last. On an average after 72 hours removal of plastic sheet should be made.
• Planting of seed is done and cover it with soil on which paddy straw are placed which helps in giving good germination of the seed.
• Irrigation is given in the form of shower.
• As per the appearance of pest and diseases proper control measures should be done.
For detail information and practical knowledge its better to complete a short duration training courses of Tomato cultivation under green house. Training is avialable at following centers. For this you may contact to following -
Hi –Tech floriculture & vegetable improvement & production project
College of Agriculture
Phone - (020) - 25538489
Horticulture Training centre
Survey No. 398 - 408
Near CRPF camp
Pune- Bombay road,
Tal – Mawal
Dist – Pune
Ph – 02114 – 223980.
[Above information is based on recommendations from National Agriculture Research System. The Effectiveness of the recommendations varies from place to place with changes in natural resource and climate. Farmers are advised to use the information on their own responsibility. KVK Baramati shall not be responsible for any consequences.]
[Edit 1 times,
last edit by baramati at Jan 19, 2010 11:29:24 AM]